Breast care is extremely vital to women’s health. Choose a center
that has met the high standards of the National Accreditation Program
for Breast Centers and carries the Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
seal from the American College of Radiology.
Breast Cancer Prevention Tips
1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. It could be
your mother, sister, a friend or even you. Take charge of your health
and be a proactive participant in taking care of yourself, it could save
Maintain a healthy weight throughout life.
- Balance your calorie intake with physical activity.
- Avoid excessive weight gain throughout life.
- Achieve and maintain a healthy weight if you are currently overweight or obese.
Adopt a physically active lifestyle
- Adults should engage in at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical
activity at least 5 days a week.
- Children and adolescents should engage in at least 60 minutes per day of
moderate to vigorous physical activity at least 5 days per week.
Eat a healthy diet, with an emphasis on plant sources
- Eat 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
- Choose whole grains instead of processed (refined) grains.
- Limit your intake of red meats and processed meats.
- Practice portion control.
- Limit your intake of alcoholic beverages, women should drink no more than
1 drink per day (2 for men.)
- Smoking can increase your risk of developing breast and many other types
- Perform Regular Breast Exams: You should begin performing regular breast
self examinations at age 20.
- Have A Mammogram: Have a baseline mammogram between the age of 35 and 40.
Have an annual mammogram every year after the age of 40.
- Know Your Family History: You should know your family history, ask your
parents, grandparents and other relatives about a history of cancer and
what type it was. A pattern of certain cancers can be an indication of
a possible genetic mutation that could lead to an increased risk of breast cancer.
About the Margaret W. Niedland Breast Center
While the Margaret W. Niedland Breast Center is a state-of-the-art facility
housing the most advanced and sophisticated imaging and diagnostic equipment,
it is like no Breast Center you have probably ever seen. When you walk
through doors, harmonious feng shui design elements combine with engaging
artwork and natural light to enhance each individual’s experience
of wellness. Outside, there is a beautiful meditation garden that is the
perfect space to relax the body and mind.
“I felt at ease, that the physicians really cared for me. I knew
I was in good hands”.
- Whitney, former patient
"My mother was having some tests done at the outpatient imaging center
in the Margaret W. Niedland Breast Center. I saw the sign for the breast
center and thought since I had not had a mammogram done recently I’d
stop in. The person at the front desk was great, very helpful and she
was able to take care of scheduling an appointment for me. That mammogram
detected my breast cancer. If they had not helped me schedule it I might
have put it off which could have resulted in a later diagnosis and a different
outcome. I’m very grateful for their caring, a great team."
- Arie Strobel, former patient