Providing the Medical Care Jupiter Needs Since 1979
Built by the community for the community, Jupiter Medical Center reaches
back to December 1956. In the mid-1950s, land that is now Jonathan's
Landing and the Jupiter Medical Center campus was part of a retirement
community called Salhaven. With 125 rental units, a 34-bed convalescence
center and a small outpatient clinic with one ambulance, it became the
seed of today's Jupiter Medical Center.
When the retirement community closed in 1971, a consortium led by Dr. George
Ford purchased it. They sold 600 acres east of the railroad tracks to
Alcoa for Jonathan's Landing and donated the remaining 30-acre parcel
for a medical center. The parcel included the original Jupiter Medical
Center Home Health and Pavilion buildings. Eventually, through financial
encouragement by several residents of Jupiter Island, Jupiter Medical
Center was built and opened its doors in 1979.
Growing with the Community
In those early days, the city of Jupiter’s population numbered less
than 5,000 and the medical center cared for more than 1,800 patients a
year. Today, Jupiter is home to 56,000 residents—and growing rapidly—and
Jupiter Medical Center cares for more than 108,000 patients annually.
Jupiter Medical Center is a full-service facility, continuing to lead the
way as a private, not-for-profit regional health care organization focused
on innovation, collaboration and partnership with the community it serves.